Gamma Confusion

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MauriceRR Regular Member • Posts: 432
Re: Gamma Confusion

Gerry Pasternack wrote:

"Like to see a screen capture of the report you specify."

If I understand your request, I used https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/ to measure gamma of calibrated monitor. Match of foreground and background pattern was achieved at G=1.4 . Both 1.3 and 1.5 showed a noticeable mismatch of patterns. Repeatable results using Firefox, IE, Opera browsers. Same result with other "measure gamma" tests.

Perhaps PME calibrator agrees with the irrelevance of gamma and doesn't bother to change it from 1.4 whatever the user setting ??

The gamma test on this site, can possibly fail, I don't really know why, I experienced it too on Benq displays. It's not an absolute test.

Don't worry about. The real test is pictures in a good color managed system (let's say photoshop).

PixelGenius gave lots of good answers.

I would add my preference for 2 targets from my side :

- TRC L* if you are only doing photography, and if you are running under hardware calibration. It can reduces a bit color conversions in maths calculations behind colormanagement.

- TRC gamma 2.4 if you want something for photography (srgb only) and video rec709 (because video software are mostly not colormanaged, you need a specific output described in standards). And as photography software are mostly color managed, they will understand 2.4 gamma.

Iso recommendations are between 1.8 and 2.4 if I remember well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow