Long Lens Technique

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,041
Long Lens Technique

There have been a few recent threads about 100-400 sharpness. Some of you may not know propper Long Lens Technique so I decided to post this method that Moose Peterson is given credit for inventing. With a little practice you should be able to shoot at 560mm with a shutter speed of 1/15 and get publication quality sharpness.

This is a photo of me taken by my friend Jay Koolpix

My X-T3 + 100-400 + 1.4x TC (with Nissin i60A flash and Better Beamer) are mounted on a Sirui W-2204 Waterproof Carbon Fiber Tripod with Jobo JR 3 Gimbal Head.  My left hand is applying down pressure and it is countered by my forehead on the eyepiece which is also applying down pressure.  This down pressure is the magic that crisp images are made of.  Too pan you walk in a circle around your tripod crossing one leg over the other as you go.  This will take some practice to get smooth.  Please be aware of your environment particular if shooting from a platform such as a pear.

Another trick and this one comes from Arty Morris:  If you are walking along and suddenly you need to plant your tripod fast to take a photo grab the front tripod leg with one hand and push it out and plant it.  Then grab the back two legs and pull them to you.  You can plant your tripod in about a second like this.

Last and again Arty taught me this: When planting your tripod turn your back to the bird so that your tripod legs swing away from the bird as you plant it.  If you face the bird with the tripod legs toward it, to the bird it looks like arms swinging out to grab it causing it to flee.

Have fun!

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 10mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +14 more
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow