Nikon ends third-party Authorized Repair relationship

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Daniel Bliss Senior Member • Posts: 1,916
A correction

So I have to correct my most recent post here to a considerable extent; it seems Canon is gradually turning the screws on its third-party authorized repairers as well.

I checked Midwest Camera's site on Canon and happened to notice some references to Canon repair in the past tense. Turns out that with the L Series-II lenses onward, Canon has not been authorizing repairers with most new products, although independents are authorized for some maintenance and cleaning even on new stuff.

Yep, Right-To-Repair is a major issue, and one we desperately need addressed. Apple somewhat takes the sting out of it by providing very fast turnaround and a high degree of customer satisfaction, but that is very much the exception.

For now I think I stick with Nikon, because the somewhat piecemeal construction of Nikon gear, especially the lenses, better lends itself to adjustment without new parts in an emergency from a local repairer than Canon's approach of reducing everything to interchangeable modules.

But I have to confess this situation has me looking at older gear. Much older. My trust in Nikon factory service is basically nil at this point.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
NCB
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow