Nikon ends third-party Authorized Repair relationship

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Daniel Bliss Senior Member • Posts: 1,916
Re: Calm down boys & girls

Your statement is highly misleading. Canon supplies parts and support to a whole bunch of third party repairers -- in addition to the two facilities that are in-house to them.

Nikon, from April on, will only have the in-house facilities with access to manufacturer parts unless they change course. They have announced their intention to discontinue the supply of parts and support to the 15 facilities with whom they still have a relationship. Bear in mind that only four of those facilities have what I'd call a broad spectrum of support including repairing VR lenses, but two of those four are the ones I do business with; APS near Chicago (the former Nikon Midwest corporate facility) and Midwest Camera Repair near Detroit.

In practice these places are a vital resource; APS has incredibly quick turnaround on repair, and Midwest sorts out lenses that Nikon claim are OK but aren't.

APS I think could be pushed out of business by the change, as they're Nikon-only; Midwest services multiple brands and I don't think are in danger....though their Nikon support will become much more limited without access to parts. Just adjustment and hope something doesn't break while they're working on it. That's the kind of reason this change is so ridiculous.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
NCB
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow