Thinking of jumping ship - anything I'm not considering?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Keith Lommel Contributing Member • Posts: 702
Thinking of jumping ship - anything I'm not considering?

I'm a long-time MFT shooter (downsized from Canon FF in the early Oly EP1/Pana G1 days) and have built up a solid collection of lenses in that time. I've always missed the DoF and noise/DR advantages of FF, though, but accepted that MFT was worth the compromise because of size/weight. Now that we're seeing more and smaller, affordable FF mirrorless options, I'm started to have thoughts of jumping ship.

My current primary camera is a GX85, which I often combine with a 35-100/2.8 lens and an LX100 for a fast two-camera combo (with a few primes in the bag for special occasions).

Frustrations with my current setup include less-than-ideal video functionality (both cameras do 4K with a pretty significant crop) and the fact that despite all this effort with multiple bodies and a bagful of prime lenses, I don't get much (if any) advantage in terms of DoF or light-gathering ability compared to just slapping a superzoom on a FF body and calling it a day.

I'm quite tempted to get an Canon RP with either the 24-105 or 24-240 plus the RF35/1.8 and an EF85/1.8, but this would only solve my problem in the stills department, because video on the RP is quite limited.

I'm aware there are options to stick with MFT and improve my video specs. GH5 is an obvious choice, but I'm not crazy about the drastically larger form factor. The new Oly EM5.3 also reportedly has decent video (down-sampled from full sensor width), but I never really loved the user interface on my old EM5.1. And again, I'm starting to feel limited by the MFT sensor size in terms of DoF control, especially on the wide side.

To be honest, my favorite control system is the traditional shutter speed and aperture dials on my LX100, and I've often found myself very very tempted to switch to Fuji, but was previously held back by the very lackluster video functionality of their early bodies. Now, however, the X-T30 appears to have excellent (nearly class-leading) video functionality in a body no bigger than my GX85, and the APS-C Fuji system has at least a few primes that are close to FF in terms of DoF (the 56/1.2 for example is equivalent to a FF 85/1.8). But Fuji lenses are quite expensive (even compared to full frame) and lack of IBIS to help stabilize the primes is a drawback.

Sorry for the rambling post, but just wondering if anyone else is wrestling with the same decision and coming up with other or better ideas.

Thanks,
Keith

Keith Lommel's gear list:Keith Lommel's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +27 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
sbu
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow