Flashpoint 600 spontaneously firing

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Schrodingers_cat Senior Member • Posts: 3,068
Flashpoint 600 spontaneously firing

This is probably an unusual and outlying occurrence , but I thought I would document it in case someone else made the same error.

I had just finished charging the battery and was about to return the strobe to it's case. It fired without my pressing a button. In examining the strobe it fired spontaneously several more times.

Shaking the strobe sometimes caused it to fire and sometimes didn't. Moving the battery around in it's mount sometimes caused it to fire.

As I brushed some dust off the top of the body it fired, as if it were some sort of static electricity issue. I brushed my hand over the top of the body several more times and it fired every time.

Finally, in one of those "Ah. Ha." moments I realized that the optical slave sensor is on the top and I was sitting directly under a very bright recessed ceiling light. Covering and then exposing the optical sensor to the ceiling light caused it to fire every single time. Turning off the optical slave function cured the issue. Can't remember why I had it turned on anyway.

"Most problems are caused by user error" - Unknown photographer

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow