Sony Rx10iv Multi-frame Noise Reduction revisited.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stephen Ingraham Senior Member • Posts: 1,863
Sony Rx10iv Multi-frame Noise Reduction revisited.

As I mentioned in a comment on my light cube post, since resetting my Rx10iv (a longer story), Multi-frame Noise Reduction now works significantly differently than it did in Costa Rica where I took the frog shots. In Costa Rica, I would press the shutter, and hear three very distinct exposures, then the camera would generally pause for processing, either with a “processing” screen or with black rectangle covering the middle of the view frame. Since the reset, when I set the camera to MFNR, I get a burst of exposures at very rapid speed...certainly the full 24fps the camera is capable of...no processing notice, and never the black rectangle.

Suspicious? I attempted this morning while it was still dark outside to replicate the conditions of Costa Rica as closely as possible. I used a small model frog, placed on a green trash bin lid, and used the light cube as the only light source. Here are two shots the first with MFNR and the second without. Recorded exposure for both is ISO 6400 at f4 @ 1/200th.

With mfnr

without

Both received identical processing in Polarr and Apple Photos, using presets...the same presets I would have used for a normal daylight exposure. I could probably improve the noise production by using my low-light presets, but I wanted to see how well MFNR could do.

I can see a difference in the two shots...though weather it is worth effort or not I will leave to you.

I am trying to figure out what changed in the reset...or rather what changes I made in setting the camera up for birds and wildlife that might have produced the change in the way MFNR works...but I have not come up with anything. The only thing that I can think of that is definitely different is that I have the camera on full silent now. ??? And if generating the clicks and beeps slows the camera down that much...it is worth knowing that!

Stephen Ingraham's gear list:Stephen Ingraham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III Sony RX10 IV Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony Alpha NEX-3N +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow