Em1.2 - ETTR "Blinkies" and Histogram now based on RAW?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
abgestumpft Regular Member • Posts: 132
Em1.2 - ETTR "Blinkies" and Histogram now based on RAW?

Hi,

I'm still not sure this is correct (still have problems to believe this is the case) but it looks like the highlight blinkies / histogram on Em1.2 are now based on RAW (change in FW? -> this was definetly not the case when EM1.2 was released).

I tested serveral scenes (high contrast / low contrast) the following way:
1. Highlight / Shadow warning enabled (Blinkies)
D1 -> Info Settings -> LV-Info -> Custom1 -> enable Histogram and Highlight&Shadow
Now you can change with Info button the between the LV-Info modes. Once Custom1 is enabled you should see the histogram overlay and also Highlight shadow warning is enabled.

2. Shooting a sceen in Expose to the right (ETTR):
Increase the exposure until you see the red blinkies on the sceen indicating overexposure.
Then I took two picutres: one right before overexposure (almost no blinkies) and on right after (blinkies start to become noticable on some areas).

Here some histograms from RAWDigger as example:

ISO64 example

Hardly any highlight warnings on Em1.2 screen during capture

First bigger areas of highlight warnings on Em1.2 screen during capture

ISO200 example

No highlight warnings on Em1.2 screen during capture

First bigger areas of highlight warnings on Em1.2 screen during capture

Here the 2nd RAW is not overexposed (actually almost perfect).

In my first quick tests this looks promising. It seems like highlight warning is pretty close to the highlight clipping in RAW. So it looks like this is a good method to maximise the exposure for a shot.

Still I have some doubts if this is really based on RAW data (because from history this was never the case), so I will keep an eye on this is future...

abgestumpft's gear list:abgestumpft's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +5 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow