iPhone Xs vs P20 Pro IQ

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jostian
Jostian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,748
iPhone Xs vs P20 Pro IQ

So just out of curiosity, this is not an attempt to do an in depth comparison...So after 5 years i decided to get an iPhone (running iOS13.2.3)  to play with, to see if I was missing anything, one of the main considerations is photography and IQ, using auto mode, I know one can do more with RAWs but decided to keep it simple.

So here are a few crops compared, iPhone Xs left P20 Pro right, the outcomes are as follows:

• iPhone colour is a bit better
  • iPhone has a lot more noise in darker areas and in low light scenes than P20 Pro
  • iPhone has a  more processed look, a bit hard/harsh (over-sharpened), P20 pro has a more natural look, but not the big difference I was expecting (remember this is at 100%)
  • Both do very well.

So the iPhone IQ wise is really good, the P20 Pro edges it but the difference is marginal in good light, and only in lower light and darker areas is the P20 Pro noticeably cleaner (this even though the the P20 Pro used higher iso's in low light, in the final crop the iPhone was 800iso while the P20 Pro was at 5000iso.

So if all things were even I'd be quite happy with the iPhone, the reason I probably wont keep it is not about IQ (actually glad to say that) cos the IQ is really good, its more related to the lack of customization options, that I'm used to on Android. Hate the fact that app icons cannot be made smaller, that the dock can only take 4 icons, no option to hide the dock, no homescreen widgets etc etc. BUT if I had only been using iPhone these issues would not be issues. The phone is beautifully built to, battery life is decent to.

-- hide signature --
 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow