What [P]DR measures. Locked

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 43,683
What [P]DR measures.

There is both confusion and misrepresentation over what [P]DR is and how it relates to cross-format comparisons.  I was going to post a technical thread about what it is, since it comes up so often in this forum, but decided instead simply to ask people what they thought it meant.

Let me post an example with the EM1.2 and Z6 from Bill Claff's outstanding site, photonstophotons.net:

So, what does this chart tell us about a photo of a scene taken with both cameras?  Possible responses are:

• Nothing that I care about / nothing that matters to me.
  • Nothing photographically relevant -- it's just irrelevant nerd stuff that misses the point of photography all together.
  • The EM1.2 and Z6 have nearly identical performance.
  • Since the x-axis is the ISO setting, rather than the exposure, and Olympus "overstates" their ISO setting compared to Nikon by about a stop, the differences are understated because the EM1.2 graph "should be" moved left by a stop.

Anyway, like I say, BC's PDR charts are put forth quite a bit in this forum, and seem to be misunderstood/misrepresented more often than not.  So, I thought it worth discussing as much as it comes up.

Nikon Z6 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow