Which Lens(es)? (and do i need a new body)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Camera Feelz New Member • Posts: 1
Which Lens(es)? (and do i need a new body)

I bought a Canon Rebel DSLR about 7 years ago, New from an office supply store. Pretty sure it is an XT or XTi but i can get the exact model if anyone needs to know. Used it with the starter lens for years, for closeup photography of small items for an online business. I thought it did a very good job, but of course with better lenses I could have had a blast. I have not used it much recently but my dad wants to get more active with photography.

He wants to start using a digital SLR for multiple reasons: Nature photography around the house (rabbits, squirrels, other exciting finds), travel on cruises and to places in Europe, and for wonderful portraits of family and friends.
He told me that he wants something similar to his old non-digital SLR he had from the 80's and 90's, he used one main lens that was something like 20-115 length approximately, I believe he liked it as a multipurpose lens and took it everywhere for on the go shots.  He also had some neat filters to attach to the lens as well, like a polarizer that he also spoke highly of.

I have been mentioning to him that he might actually be better off with 2 or 3 truly great lenses instead of 1, in order to excel in each area as opposed to one mediocre that tries to be everything. We are both unfamiliar with some of the newer features and technology in last several years, in terms of what is necessary and what really isn't,

Do you think the Rebel body that i have is too outdated now to pair with a nicer, newer lens ? And what lens(es) would you recommend for the stated purposes?

Budget:  We of course love the best deals but I understand that great lenses are worth their price.  While i do not have a specific number in mind, I know that buying a nice lens or two or three could easily be $500 or $1000 so I am prepared to spend accordingly with whatever will fit the bill.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow