The A6600 is here

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 32,128
The A6600 is here

My camera arrived today, when I got home.  I got it for the $1,198 price, and it came bundled with a Sony 64GB SD card and a Billingham medium sized camera bag which is pretty nicely built and slots in size between my Tenba shoulder bag and my Tamrac compact bag.  I didn't really need the add-ons, but hey - why not?

As for the camera - it arrived with 4% on the battery, so I had to plug it in to charge up before I start messing with setting up all the controls and MR banks.  I intend to pretty well copy the layout of my A6300 for familiarity...and test out the tracking focus mode on MR2 to see how it does and if I like it better than my old fallback.

I really like the grip - very solid, large, well fit to my hand.  I was fine with the A6300 grip too, but the new grip size will help for the carrying when attached to larger lenses.  Otherwise, the size is close enough to the A6300 to feel familiar.  The build may be just a touch more solid than my A6300, but that's probably more to do with the fact that my A6300 has 4 yard years of heavy use on it!

I still need to get new charger plates for my twin battery charger which still has the smaller A6300 battery plates - I ordered new plates which should be here in a few days, so until then I have to plug the camera in to charge the battery.  And I don't have a second spare battery yet - I'm holding off on that because it's a right-price item to stick on my Christmas list for relatives and friends, and I'm hoping I may score one or two spare batteries - I'll just have to wait a few weeks.  If not, I'll just buy one spare right after Christmas.

This weekend, I plan to take the new camera to the wetlands and see how it does - and will bring my A6300 with 3 charged batteries as a backup as I have no idea just how long the battery will last - it should be about double the A6300 battery, but just in case, I'll have the A6300 body there if I need to keep shooting and run out.

More details will come as I get the camera charged, start putting all my custom buttons and sets on it, building the MyMenu with everything else that's not mapped to a custom button or Fn menu, and running the first shots this weekend.  I also intend to test out the IBIS with a few of my non-stabilized lenses to see how it does, such as the Voigtlander 35mm and Sigma 16mm...that might take a little longer to get around to, with the wetlands shooting this weekend and Christmas rush on its way.

Just thought I'd mention that I joined the ranks of A6600 shooters!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6600 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +24 more
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow