A9 JPEG Moire and AF

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
vett93
vett93 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,839
A9 JPEG Moire and AF

I took an assignment to shoot a company holiday party last night. The requirement was to shoot JPEG and turn in image files shortly after the event. So I shot JPEG in Slot 2 and RAW in Slot 1, in case I needed to do PP. Most of the images turned out great with beautiful colors; i.e., no PP was needed.

There were a number of images that showed strong moire though. An example is shown below:

A9 JPEG OOC

I checked the RAW file and it looked fine.

A9 RAW file

The lens used is Sony FE 24-70/F2.8 GM.

Another thing worth noting is that while 90% of the AF worked great, about 10% of the time the AF struggled a bit. I used AF-S and Medium focus point. This was with the Sony flash HVL-F60RM's LED focus assitant light. I pressed the focus button, saw the LED light came on and off in the EVF, and then the focus point was still RED! This happened about 10% time. The other 90% time, the focus button would turn green quickly. The event was held in a restaurant and the light was dim.

The HVL-F60RM's LED focus assistant has two levels: high and low. I used the low level but I could sense it stilled bothered some people, as it was a bit too bright. Yet, the A9's AF had problems about 10% time. Do I have unrealistic expectations?

-- hide signature --

"Keep calm and take photos"
Photography enthusiast, from 12mm to 600mm

 vett93's gear list:vett93's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a6500 Apple iPhone 11 Pro
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow