Intervalometer Inaccuracy

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Alex Ethridge
Alex Ethridge Veteran Member • Posts: 4,790
Re: Intervalometer Inaccuracy

RobertN5D wrote:

Hello All,

This past week I took some long exposures of the Old Pier in Brooklyn, NY using Vello's ShutterBoss. I wanted to really exaggerate the water's stillness. So, I tried a 15-minute exposure. I set the intervalometer for 15 minutes and set the camera (5D Mark III) to Bulb and started the exposer. Upon completion I noticed that the camera reported an exposure of 961.6 seconds. Now, unless my math is incorrect, 15 minutes is 900 seconds which means the exposure was more than a full minute longer! I tend to side with the camera because it's probably a lot better at timing than the ShutterBoss. Is this just something I'm going to have to live with or are there more accurate intervalometers or better ways of timing an exposure out there?

I haven't done any interval work and don't follow exactly how things were timed, how many exposures were made or how long each exposure was,

BUT

could it be that the 61.6 seconds was the combined total amount of time the shutter was open for all the exposures and the 900 seconds was the combined total time between all the exposures?

I would hope not but stranger things happen all the time.

Alex Ethridge's gear list:Alex Ethridge's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic GH5 Sony a7 III Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow