Galaxy A10 phone photo vs a cheap pocket camera photo?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Randy6414 Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: Galaxy A10 phone photo vs a cheap pocket camera photo?

A pocket camera is likely to give you advantages in certain areas: sensor size, optical zoom, physical controls, faster frame rate, shallower depth of field, tripod socket, and maybe a view finder.

A phone will give you advantages in other areas: it's always with you, fits in a pants pocket instead of a jacket pocket, greater depth of field, easier to upload photos/videos to social media.

I have a full frame camera, a Sony RX100ii, and a smartphone.  When the best possible photos are the priority, I use the full frame.  When good photos are important, but size/weight/convenience are a factor (such as when travelling light or attending an event where "pro" cameras are not allowed, I carry the RX100ii in a small case.  When photos are not a priority and I don't have a camera with me, I pull out the smartphone for photos if needed.

The way I look at it, the smartphone can do about 80% of what the 1" sensor RX100ii can do.  And the RX100ii can do about 80% of what the full frame camera can do.   If I need the best possible image, I've got to deal with the weight, size, and inconvenience of carrying a full frame camera (and a bag full of related gear).  For other situations, the pocket camera and smart phone suffice.

Randy

Randy6414's gear list:Randy6414's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T*
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow