Desiring OVF

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
left eye
left eye Senior Member • Posts: 1,921
Desiring OVF

I'm so missing an OVF.

You know I have an GFX 50S (and GH5 for video), and of course I know the advantages of MILCs (and conversely the direct corollary disadvantages of dSLRs, focusing not as accurate / AF lens adjustments, mirror slap, etc), but I really miss looking through an OVF. Seeing the actual light reflected off my subject, in a VF, is I realise an important part of photographic magic for me - all the subtlety of the actual light I'm about to capture - rather than seeing that magic later in ACR.

And no 'hurry up and take the shot!' battery-drain of EVFs with an OVF.

Is it crazy to add a dSLR to my GFX (not as a replacement) for the OVF experience - which indeed isn't just an 'experience', but since using EVFs and being totally honest I'm not composing shots as well as I did with OVFs (and actually I see the same from other photographers).

I'm considering a D850 or 645z, or anything else you might suggest, even lighter-weight could be an advantage as a side-kick to the GFX, so I'm even looking at a lower-res option, a Pentax KP. Rangefinder cameras are out of the question, I want the focusing-screen experience. The speed of the D850 isn't on my radar, though a small 28mm lens is - with proper mechanical manual focus, and as this would be an additional camera, the 3:2 ratio would also be valid difference (I probably fractionally prefer 3:2 to 4:3 but there's not a lot in it, having both would though be refreshing - and again yes I know I can crop to different ratios in the EVF with the GFX - but it's not the same - it's an EVF).

Thoughts?

left eye's gear list:left eye's gear list
Olympus E-300 Fujifilm GFX 50S Panasonic GH5 +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D850 Panasonic GH5 Pentax 645Z Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow