M5 vs M50?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MrLynn
MrLynn Junior Member • Posts: 37
M5 vs M50?

I've been using a Rebel T2i (with Tamron 18-270) for a few years, plus a Canon SX50 for lighter weight and birds.  We'll be doing some traveling in the coming year, so I am thinking of something lighter than the Rebel-Tamron combination. I don't like the tiny SX50 EVF and controls (always hitting the 'Self-Timer' button by mistake) and I do like the idea of a larger sensor, so I'm turning to the Canon mirrorless M series.  I'm an exclusive viewfinder user, so that means M5 or M50.

In the United States, the M50 is always bundled with the kit 18-45 lens, not the 18-150 as in Europe.  But the M5 is bundled with the 18-150 in this country, and the price of that bundle is coming down ($600 now at B&H; is the M5 being discontinued)?

The M50 is said to have a better processor (Digic 8 vs Digic 7) and about double the number of AF points.  So am I giving up a lot of capability with the M5?  I do like having more controls on top, and not buried in menus.

I could of course get just the M50 body and buy the l8-150 lens separately, but that dramatically increases the cost.  Or I could get the common US bundle of 18-45 plus 55-200, but that means more lens switching (and more to carry).

Coming from the relatively old T2i, I'd probably find either the M5 or M50 a new experience.  But I'd welcome any thoughts re one versus the other.   /LEJ

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow