Full HD Video Editing Hardware Requirements

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 3,682
Re: Full HD Video Editing Hardware Requirements

Photog74 wrote:

Crossposted from the Nikon D7000 forum

i have had a D7000 for ages, but so far I’ve only - well, almost only - been using it for stills photography. Now I’d like to get into videography a bit more seriously, but I wonder if my current computer is up to the task of editing and rendering/encoding Full HD videos. Like my camera, my PC is a fairly old affair, but so far it’s proven adequate for things like raw image development and photo editing.

It has an ASRock FM2A85X Extreme 4 motherboard, a quad-core AMD A8-5600K CPU with integrated Radeon HD 7560 GPU, plus 8 GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM. My impression is that video editing works fine, but rendering/encoding causes the APU to overheat. It also takes way too long to encode and save an edited video, even when the processor doesn't get overheated to the point of shutting down the computer.

Do you think getting a better CPU cooler and possibly doubling the RAM would solve this problem, or should I also get a dedicated graphics card complete with its own fan? Also, what's better: getting more RAM or installing a second SSD and designating it as a "scratch disk" / virtual memory for the video editor?
(When replying, please bear in mind we're talking about editing videos from an almost ten-year-old camera, with a maximum resolution of 1080p, frame rate of 24fps, and a typical bit rate of less than 20Mbit/s.)

What software?

Ian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow