Just to add to the Cellphone v DSLR "noise"

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RUcrAZ
RUcrAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 6,095
Just to add to the Cellphone v DSLR "noise"

Well, I've been using a Nikon D5500 for a while, and added a new iPhone 11 to my toolbox, so I thought I'd give them a comparison. Each "tool" has different uses, with the DSLR being naturally far more functional and flexible, so a "comparison" for me is simply a matter of curiosity. But I thought I'd share the results for fun.

I set up the Nikon D5500 with a Nikon 16-85mm zoom lens, to approximately match the alleged 26mm "equivalent" of iPhone's main lens. This turned out about 17.3mm on the zoom for the DX camera. I set the Nikon on AUTO, to see what it could do by itself, the same as the iPhone. Both on tripod, both clicked using remote controls, each shot within 5 or so minutes from the other.

Both cameras (they are both "cameras!") autofocused well, both exposed well, below are the full-as shot photos. They have slightly different width-to-height ratios. Then I blew up the centers, and some edges, and used "snagit" to place them side-by-side, in order to create matching "sets."

Here they are.

(Next time I want to compare my almost 10-yr old, Zeiss-lensed, 5 megapixel cam on my Nokia N-95 8G, at the time the leading camera (in a cellphone) of its age...)

I am very glad to see the tremendous competition among cellphone makers, in the area of photography. We consumers/photo fans can only gain from the struggle.

Nikon D5500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow