M6II or RP to Replace SL1 - Update

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BiscuitoftheSea Regular Member • Posts: 100
M6II or RP to Replace SL1 - Update

Not long ago I posted a thread asking for advice on updating my SL1 due to the fact that capturing pictures in low light was severely lacking (along with the autofocus). I mainly do indoor pictures of my family and haven't used the SL1 for a long time due to the limitations in getting good shots without using a flash (which is annoying to pretty much everyone).

There was a lot of good advice in the thread. The two biggest pieces of advice seemed to be:

1. The lens is more important than the body - so make sure the right lens is available

2. Go out and actually look at / play with them

So after that thread maxed out its replies, I went over to National Camera Exchange near me which had the RP, M6II and Sony A7III.

My impressions were as follows:

M6II - love the size. Biggest concern were the lack of lenses (particularly the lack of non-prime lenses) and getting a small zoom (28-75 or 18-105ish) with an f2.8 or less. Since this is an APS-C sensor, I don't think the low light performance would have been good enough without some nice fast lenses.

RP - the 24-105mm is massive. Really big. Not only that, but it is f4. I didn't see any good 28-75ish f2.8 or better lenses available and the lenses that are available seem pretty limited right now. This would have had the benefit of using my existing lenses with the adapter, but my lenses are APS-C, so it would have limited the MP output.

Sony A7III - menu system sucks. Even the lady selling the camera had no idea why the touchscreen wasn't working (I even had to ask if it had one - she had to go look online). Turns out, it can only be used for AF and not for menu navigation...or well anything else. That being said, it had the lens I was looking for Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 which was a little large but way smaller than the RF lens. It has great reviews and the low light seems like the best of the bunch.

I figured the best option would be to pick up the Sony and play with it. If I don't like it, I can always return the two (for $180 restocking fee :-/) and look at the Canons.

So far, I'm liking it. But man I wish it was smaller. The M6II is so small and compact.

I wish I could test the M6II in low light compared to the A7III. I can't find direct comparisons and the one image that this site gives (their test image) doesn't help much.

The biggest limitation I see on the M6II is it seems it is made for prime lenses. There just aren't any options in the 20-100mm range with < f2.8. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to move to an all prime setup. For those of you who do it, is it inconvenient? I feel like I'll miss a lot of shots without the flexibility of a small zoom, especially when dealing with indoors and fast moving kids.

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 (EOS 100D)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Jx9
MAC
Jx9
Jx9
KEG
KEG
MAC
MAC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow