Leica 50-200 on EM1 II: how much better than 75-300 II ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stefandreas Regular Member • Posts: 239
Leica 50-200 on EM1 II: how much better than 75-300 II ?

Hi,

for the first time I am ready to invest a 4-digit sum in a lens, the Panasonic Leica 50-200. I use the EM1 II and recently purchased the Panasonic Leica 12-60 which I find amazing. There is something different in color rendition of this lens which makes me think that the Leica 50-200 would do the same magic. I would need the tele zoom to replace my good old 75-300 II which took thousands of wildlife pictures in Africa, Costa Rica, Greenland etc.

I am quite happy with it, especially since I have the EM1 II,  but looking close a the pictures there is of course room for improvement in terms of contrast and clarity, especially at the long end. On the other hand the range of 200-250 mm  seems really good and color rendition is just perfect.

My questions for those who have both lenses and an EM1:

- staying on the 200 mm level: will I really see a big difference which justifies the purchase ?

- will a cropped 200 mm imge of the Leica be better than a 280 mm image of the Olympus ?

- are there any focus issues with that lens on EM1 II, with or without the TC 1,4 ?

So, generally speaking: if I stay below 280 mm with the 75-300 II - will I really see a difference at all in terms of image quality ?

The Leica actually costs around 1.200 Euro as there is a Cashback offer running until 15.1.

Intrigued, but not convinced yet to do the jump. Please help.

Stefan

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow