Gamma Confusion

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 15,332
Re: Gamma Confusion

pixelgenius wrote:

Gerry Pasternack wrote:

My primary goal in monitor calibration is to achieve best image viewing. I do little image printing. My editing/viewing software is all color managed.

My software calibration choices for gamma are a number (like 2.2), L*, or sRGB. (There is no "Native Gamma" option). Which gamma setting is best?

Again there's not really a "best" but 2.2 should be just fine.

Based on viewing test photos it seem that Gamma=2.2 setting produces an excellent image. I'm just wondering why tests for gamma measurement (Ezio, Lagom) shows that the gamma for my calibrated monitor is closer the 1.4 than 2.2. Wondering why that is.

A gamma value of 2.2 is the correct value for aRGB, and very close to the correct value for sRGB.

Gamma 1.8 is a better choice if you work exclusively in the ProPhoto color space.

A gamma value of 2.2 is the safe choice and should probably be used unless you work exclusively in the ProPhoto color space.

Note that if you choose the ProPhoto color space and a Gamma of 1.8 in Photoshop's Color Settings the gamma setting will be wrong if you import a sRGB JPG image. You have to change the gamma again in Color Settings to get the correct display for the sRGB JPG.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow