First Half Hour With My Just In RX10 IV (BIFs)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
AlwynS Senior Member • Posts: 2,811
Re: First Half Hour With My Just In RX10 IV (BIFs)

Sylvain Weiller wrote:

AlwynS wrote:

Congratulations on your new camera: I trust it will give you years of enjoyment and good service. I certainly love mine.

Thanks ! Sure it's a great camera !

As for your halo concern: this is a known phenomenon that has been raised and discussed on these forums several times. A couple of comments:

1. The phenomenon is exaggerated by too dark exposure . I have found that the RX10 meters too darkly to my mind. To adapt to this I have adjusted my exposure standard (Camera 1 menu, page 8 of 14 of the menus) upwards by 4/6 of a stop EC. Even with this I still bump up the EC when photographing a dark bird against a light sky. And if you do not want to adjust your exposure standard then at least manually bump up the EC to > +1EV (maybe even up to +2) when you take shots like these. I attach a recent image of a Bald Eagle against a blue sky background. You would note in this that, even WITH my exposure standard adjusted, I STILL added +0.7EV.

Your advice is very useful and sure will make me improve faster my birding !

..................... The trick is to get closer to the bird so that it fills more of the frame. I know, I know: easier said than done!

Getting closer to the BIFs could be easy if I knew how to fly

Ah yes, we all dream of being able to do that....

Around here (near Paris, France) we have rather small birds (seagulls, pigeons, parakeets of the Nile, etc.) flying high (30-50 m) and fast then noway to get closer !
This is a domain were I will try to do on field comparisons with my Coolpix P1000...

Thanks a lot for comments !

A pleasure: enjoy the camera!

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow