Test Sony A7R3 + MC11 + Canon 600MM F4 II

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JackiePan
JackiePan Junior Member • Posts: 26
Test Sony A7R3 + MC11 + Canon 600MM F4 II

I am 2 years SONY user and used to be a 10 years Canon user. i already sold all my Canon gears include MC11, Metabones.  In the middle of 2019, I was thinking of telescope lens for birding and wildlife animals.  Later SONY released 200-600 which fits me quite well, but as Canon user before, i was still a bit dreaming 600MM F4. After a few comparison and homework on DPR, I am determined to get SONY native 200-600 for its weight, sharpness and AF speed. I tried at Sony store and it worked quite well on A7R3.

Then something happened, my friend tried to offer his 600MM F4 II as quite a cheap price, he also gave his canon 2.0 TC III as gift. Of course i can't reject it. And i have to say goodbye to 200-600. Two days ago, I got my MC11 ordered from Amazon. i immediately tested it. Here is what I found.

Firmware MC11 1.27(latest)

A7R3 3.01

With no TC,

I tried AF-S, it worked just okay outdoors, i think I can shoot birds on the tree with no issue in daytime. When i tried to AF in low light, it will hesitate. AF area with center focus seemed faster than others.

With AF-C, i tried wide and zone, i found Zone seemed better at tracking. Also in low light or low contrast case, the lens will keep hunting.

With canon 2.0 TC III,

It will take a while for AF focus even it is daylight. In the end, i have to switch to MF which is faster. With MC11 you can't switch MF from camera, have to rely on the lens AF/MF button. i knew Metabone will give MF in the body.

I didn't try AF-C.

With or with out TC, i can't turn on IBIS, saying the lens doesn't support it. I switched IS mode 3 on the lens, there was always some noise in the lens when AF, guessing the IS unit is working.  Maybe with A9, or Metabones V will be better at the performance.

Jackie.

Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow