Your thoughts on Oly 12-100 vs. Sony RX100 vii

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MacroDonata
MacroDonata Forum Member • Posts: 66
Your thoughts on Oly 12-100 vs. Sony RX100 vii

I have read many, many glowing comments regarding the 12-100 Oly.  Enough to wake up my GAS.  I have primes in the 12-75mm range, but no short end zooms.  I like the idea of the 12-100 for travel or convenience.  I have 2 Oly bodies - the E-M5ii and the E-M1ii.

It occurred to me, though, that the price of the 12-100 alone is in the ballpark of the Sony RX100 vii.

With the Sony, you get a slighly smaller sensor, a much smaller size and weight.  The lens is roughly as fast in the short end and a lot slower in the long end after adjusting for sensor size.  Reviews indicate that it generally sharp across the frame, certainly sharper than the similar cameras from Canon and Panasonic.  But, I don't have insight as to how well that lens compares to the 12-100.  My guess is close, but not as good.  I'd also guess that bokeh is better with the Oly.

For me, using Oly bodies is more engaging that using the RX100 cameras.  Part of that is size, part is the feature set, and part is knowing how to get the settings I want relatively quickly.

I rarely use video, so that doesn't carry much weight for me.

There's every chance that I'm missing something obvious, so I'd appreciate any thoughts about the choice.  Especially if you have used the lens and RX100 vi or vii.  IYO, are the images produced by the 12-100 so much better than the Sony as to outweigh the considerable size advantage of the Sony?

Thanks for your responses.

MacroDonata's gear list:MacroDonata's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Olympus E-M5 II +16 more
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VI
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow