F stop technical limits?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP HighlandApe New Member • Posts: 13
Re: F stop technical limits?

Dennis wrote:

HighlandApe wrote:

If you could make something like that (and humour me please and not get into equivalence arguments or why one sensor size is better than others) one could theoretically produce a compact, small sensor system that allowed for very compact lenses for casual daylight use and full frame challengers at the other if you wanted to carry the weight.

Even if you could do that theoretically, what's the market ? How many people are going to want to spend the money and carry the weight just to put equivalent lenses in front of a smaller sensor ?

The selling point of smaller sensors is smaller cameras. People who want both (big/capable and compact) are generally content to buy both. Instead of a full frame challenger (that isn't) you use full frame and when you want to shoot something compact, you shoot something compact. You're probably buying the same stuff anyway, because you'd want a compact body for the small lenses and a bigger body to handle the bigger lenses.

When the EM1X was announced, a lot of people expressed their opinions that Olympus was heading in the wrong direction and that focusing on smaller, lighter systems was the right path (and the reason m43 buyers bought into the system in the first place).

So whether or not there are technical limits, my guess is there's far too small a market to flesh out a lineup of big, fast FF equivalents. (Same applies to APS-C ... if you're going to bother with the weight and expense of f/2 zooms, just get f/2.8 zooms for FF).

- Dennis
--
Gallery at http://kingofthebeasts.smugmug.com

Versatility. 
One system or even body with add on grips does it all. Small lenses for travel, street and family events In daylight. Big beasts for safari or if you are a pro that wants scaleability. No need to memorise different control layouts or other peculiarities of different bodies. Or even buying different bodies if like most you can only justify/afford the one. Just add the accessories you need to deal with the task at hand

Were it possible to have that sort of flexibility and decouple the sensor size from low light abilities there‚Äôs a market. Especially for Olympus who clearly would gain by expanding their market. 
As nobody has tried it there had to be a good reason and the forum has given me several so thanks again. 
My original question wasn’t about commercial viability though, just to understand the art of the possible. Even if it’s five figure sums for small sensor video superzooms that probably weigh more that all of the photo kit I’ve ever owned!

HighlandApe's gear list:HighlandApe's gear list
Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow