Canon or Epson

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ScooterMcTavish
ScooterMcTavish Junior Member • Posts: 35
Canon or Epson

Morning All,

After reading my 23rd printer review that says a printer produces "great" or "excellent" photos, I'm officially tired of reading reviews, even though the people at PC Mag sound like nice folks.

Like may others, I'm also not a huge fan of third party services. There is nothing more disappointing than looking at a nice photo on my Mac, then seeing a dark/washed print show up when printed. Ick. For the limited prints I will make, I'd rather be able to proof and adjust at home vs. sending them off.

My general shopping criteria is:

- Photo-centric printer

- Smaller footprint

- <$300 CDN

- Minimum 5 (preferred minimum 6) inks

- Do not need large format

- Do not need business features - already have two office multipurpose units and a monochrome laser for boring business stuff around the house

This would seem pretty simple, but there are so many bloody printers with decent good prices right now that I am unsure what direction to go in. As much as the attractive pricing on the Canon Pro-100 and Epson XP-15000 is appealing, these big beasties would likely take up more real estate than I would like.

Considering Epson, I have suffered from the dreaded plugged printheads in the past, and is my greatest concern is plugging if the printer sees just occasional use. Too bad, as I have always been impressed with the Epson outputs.

Considering Canon, I understand it is less prone to have plugged printheads, but my past experience with Canons is that they tend to oversaturate colours, and that the ink is not of the same quality as the Epson Claria inks. My wife also uses an MX922, and I am unimpressed with its quality, though she does use 3rd party ink for it.

I welcome the input of others. Some models I was considering (With current sales prices) are:

- Epson XP-7100 ($120)

- Epson XP-970 ($200)

- Canon Pixma iX6820 ($180)

- Canon Pixma TS8220 ($100)

- Canon Pixma TS9120 ($180)

Or should I find the necessary real estate for the Epson XP-15000? I expect to never print anything above 8x10, but if the quality is so much better for 4x6 or 5x7, then it may be worth it.

Thanks in advance!

ScooterMcTavish's gear list:ScooterMcTavish's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow