Neweer 35mm f1.7 vs Canon EF 40mm f2.8 STM

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
EscVelocity New Member • Posts: 17
Neweer 35mm f1.7 vs Canon EF 40mm f2.8 STM

I was on Amazon and Amazon Japan (I’m in Taiwan) looking at used EF-M 18-55 lenses. I recently picked up the Canon EF 55-250 and I’m so much happier with it than I was with my EF-M 18-150, but I want a flexible shorter range telephoto. Reading suggests the 18-55 is a better choice than the 15-45.

While browsing I came across the Neweer 35mm. I’d researched it and the 7artisans 35mm f/1.2 a few months ago and decided to hold off, partly because I still dream of the EF-M 32mm. But on Amazon Japan the price on the Neweer was even better than in the US, so I was tempted (and there’s no way I’m paying double that for the 7artisans).

However Amazon also decided to show me the Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM. It sells new in the US for $130, and I can get that price down to about US$100 from Amazon Japan, plus combining the shipping with the EF-M 18-55. The Amazon reviews are really, really good. With autofocus, small size, and it actually being a Canon lens, I’m having a hard time figuring out why I would want to go with the Neweer or 7artisans. Also, 40mm is still midway between my two existing primes (the EF-M 22mm which I like a lot and the 7artisans 55mm which I absolutely adore), but without crowding up so close to the EF-M 32mm that I still fantasize about paying for someday.

Am I off track? Is there something I’m missing?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow