Catalina Photos 5.0 ... a nightmare with RAW / NEF files

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gavroche1973
Gavroche1973 New Member • Posts: 2
Catalina Photos 5.0 ... a nightmare with RAW / NEF files

I finaly made the big plunge ... and installed Mac OS Catalina ... meaning "bye bye Aperture" (who was already crashing repeatidly under the previous version of Mac OS even with a installation from scratch ... I think APFS file system is involved). (I kept a backup of my old Aperture Libraries (we never know).

So I have tried to manage my new NEF files from my Nikon D750 with Photos 5.0

After a few weeks the conclusion is : A TERRIBLE NIGHTMARE !

Even without considering the fact that my 200 Go iCloud subscription may explode in a couple of months (considering a single picture =  28 mb file size), Photos 5.0 is obviously not optimized for handling NEF / RAW files (even on my Mac mini i7 quad core, 16go of ram and 1To SSD).

It is SLOW when browsing, VERY SLOW when editing (and it's missing copy/paste settings from a picture to another) and VERY VERY SLOW when exporting (the app is not responding several times when exporting only 10 files in JPEG).

So, I'm going to make a BIG step backwards comparing the time i was able to use Aperture, meaning :  separate the editing process from the viewing/cataloging one. RAW storage will be made manually, edit/export will be made with Capture NX before importing the result in Photos iCloud Library.

I could lament myself and be outrageous towards Apple (they desserve it on that matter) but I prefer adapt my working process ...

Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow