A7 for landscape astro: Does it make sense heading into 2020?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,449
Re: A7 for landscape astro: Does it make sense heading into 2020?

Dominic Ryan wrote:

Thanks all for the valuable feedback, I think I will start hunting for an a7R. My reading is it is a worthy step up from the a7 for my application for the extra $100~$200 it is likely to cost me.

For background, my current main camera is a GH5. I did manage to get some decent astro shots from it with the ISO up as high as 12800 (Laowa 7.5mm f2) with a low of ISO 3200 (Sigma 16mm f1.4). I was finding however that I had to do pretty aggressive post processing (noise reduction, hot/dead pixel removal, contrast and colour shift correction) in RawTherapee and 5+ image stacks in Sequator just to get a reasonably noise free shot. Still, the GH5 is superb for daytime video (especially that IBIS) which I still do a lot of, so it became evident I was going to have to invest in a second system.

I got an a7S not only for landscape astro, but also video which I've loved. It can do in single exposure what my GH5 needs 5+ heavily PP stacked images to achieve. No options on M43 is going to deliver that level of performance for both night based photography or videography in a single hybrid format for under $1k (not even the GH5s). Reason I am looking for a second cam now is that I have recently invested in a Konova motorised slider and a MSM tracker/rotator with 3 way geared Benro head. I see the a7S being a great option for capturing single exposure 4k time lapse sequences on top of the slider that won't be stacked while the second camera will take longer exposure tracked or star trail sequences which will likely be stacked.

Having spent all that $$, I am now very tight on disposable cash. I think the a7R will make the most sense being a photography focussed system and also because I already have a load of accessories from the a7S.

OK. That is a different scenario.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow