Used camera to rent to people

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
surume Junior Member • Posts: 25
Used camera to rent to people

There are a couple of people who are into photography in my circle of friends and we are currently considering buying a used camera and lens to rent to other friends who are interested in photography but are hesitating to spend hundreds (or thousands) in a hobby they aren't certain they'll get into.

The idea is, each of us will be putting forward $150, and pooling that money together to buy a used camera and lens. That way, if something were to happen to the camera, the financial damage will be thinned out compared to say, the loss of a personally owned camera. One person will have to store it, but any of us will be able to take it out and rent it to a friend for the day, and hopefully in a few years we will have a bunch of enthusiasts in our community.

The question is, which camera and lens to buy? There are so many cameras and lenses to choose from, and my friends already use different mounts (Sony, Nikon, Canon), so we can't just pick one based on lens compatibility.

With smartphone technology advancements, I fear that smaller sensor cameras may not be a significant step forward compared to smartphone cameras to convince people to get in the hobby, so I'm thinking APS-C or FF to be preferable.

Also, I want the person renting the camera to get a taste for photography, so something  like the Canon M100 may be a tad too simplified and lacking versatility.

I'm estimating we can get $900 pooled together, which will be enough to get a used Sony a7,Nikon D610, or Canon 6D with a 50mm prime to match, but I would appreciate your insight and recommendations, especially if there are any good candidates I'm completely overlooking (I haven't looked into Fuji, Olympus, Pentax etc.)

surume's gear list:surume's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony 2x Teleconverter (2016) Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +3 more
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M100 Nikon D610 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow