Nikon ends third-party Authorized Repair relationship

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Daniel Bliss Senior Member • Posts: 1,916
Re: Nikon ends third-party Authorized Repair relationship

But no doubt they'll go on outsourcing their "own" repairs to hit-or-miss subcontractors in the New York area, getting repairs wrong, taking for ever to do they, inadequately packaging them for the return trip to the customer.

This really about does it for me. I'd been holding off and holding off on body purchases to see when or if they'd introduce proper LiveView focusing to DSLR like Canon and/or some better features on their Z-bodies like dual slots, but also because the D800 continues to cut it for now.

But I hate dealing with their Melville service who refuse to get repairs right and take forever and fob you off with one excuse after another and it's really only the third party repairers that have kept me with the brand. I'm going to share a story I'd not talked much about; I almost ditched Nikon about four years ago when they butchered my 70-200 and I had to go to an authorized repairer -- Midwest Camera in Michigan -- to sort it out. I was money out of pocket, of course, because Nikon effectively had reneged on their warranty coverage by butchering the first sample on another repair by re-assembling it incorrectly and tilting an element, "re-repairing" it by simply tilting the wonky element in another direction, then replacing it with a refurb with exactly the same fault, at which point I simply gave up on the warranty and walked away and started contacting authorized independents. But Midwest's excellent job of actually fixing the serious optical misalignment in the lens that Nikon had caused saved a customer for Nikon; earlier this year I got the 70-200E which I've enjoyed greatly, so to see this now is a real slap in the face.

For me, it's now either a question of all-aftermarket lenses and older used bodies or switching to another brand entirely.

Tamron or Sigma, Canon, or Sony? Or iPhones and GoPros? My approach to Nikon...other than the big exception I made for the 70-200E, was shifting to one of only buying products that could be serviced by authorized independents. I guess that means I can't buy Nikon any more.

I hope Nikon gets hit and hit hard with right-to-repair legislation, and if they're not good enough to survive it without going under, then tough. They are insulting their customers....they are a poster child for the need for rigorous government regulation of corporations.

It doesn't matter that overall, their products are superior on average to the competition. The product superiority is much narrower than the deficiency in their service, and that's what is the real differentiator. It's no good having the best-in-class lens on the market if they spend two months butchering it and then failing and/or refusing to make it right. And, especially in the United States, they obviously are continuing to refuse to learn that lesson, and if they continue much longer like this, they'll be a minor also-ran at best.

The letter obtained by iFixit betrays a little desperation on Nikon's part....“The climate in which we do business has evolved, and Nikon Inc. must do the same.” But apparently Sony and Canon don't.

At least in photography, there are alternatives. Often in today's corporate world, there aren't.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
NCB
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow