TIL Extending Zooms don't really collect more dust

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
techjedi
techjedi Senior Member • Posts: 3,775
TIL Extending Zooms don't really collect more dust

Like many of you, I had frequently heard that extending zooms act like a pump which would suck dust into a lens and thus non-extending zooms were preferable to extending ones for long term cleanliness, all other things being equal.

So it was surprising to me, to read Roger Cicala's breakdown of the RF 70-200mm f2 and hear his empirical findings:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/12/the-not-very-long-awaited-teardown-of-the-canon-rf-70-200mm-f2-8-is/

Before we start, though, let’s get the extending barrel discussion out of the way. Some of you HATE extending barrel lenses. That’s cool; don’t get one. Some of you like to call them dust pumps. That’s cool, too, although it’s incorrect. (We take care of over 20,000 lenses. The most common ‘dusters’ among current lenses all happen to be primes that don’t zoom at all.)

First, it was surprising to find that primes have more dust than even non-extending zooms. Then I might have tried to rationalize something about the usage pattern of primes that leads to overall more exposure to dust. But in the end, sampling over 20,000 lenses, it seems hard to argue this experience from the people who actually clean lenses for a living.

For the DPR forum readers, is this surprising to you? Does it match your personal experience for dust?

Personally, I have never had to clean dust from any lens and have used all of these varieties. I do baby mine and don't operate in dusty environments in general, so my sample is probably less relevant.

techjedi's gear list:techjedi's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony RX100 Sony a6500 +18 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow