Fujifilm GFX-50R and 50mm 3.5 (& 63mm 2.8)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John Gellings
John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 5,666
Fujifilm GFX-50R and 50mm 3.5 (& 63mm 2.8)

Hello all. I am a long-time Fujifilm user in digital... since the original X100, but also I have used their film Medium Format Rangefinder cameras (645, 6x7, 6x9) a bit in the 90s.

I currently live in Chile, only travel to the US once a year at this point and my next trip will be a quick one...so maybe I won't have a lot of time to test equipment before buying. Used prices have come down to a little above $3000 US for the body which I can handle. I have no way to look at a medium format Fujifilm cameras in Chile, so please forgive the questions. I currently use a few 24mp Fuji APSC cameras with the 1.2, 1.4, and F2 primes. They work well and the focus speed is sufficient (F1.2, 1.4) to perfect (F2) IMO. I will continue to use these cameras, but I have a project in mind for the GFX. I have tried various FF cameras and prefer my Fujis due to the uniqueness of Fuji i.e. rangefinder shaped bodies, shutter speed dials, decent menus, aperture rings, small lenses, etc.

However, I am intrigued by the GFX-50R (I prefer the rangefinder style body) and I generally like to use a 50mm equivalent the most. The research I have done (via online videos from dubious sources) shows me that the 63mm does not focus quickly (that's ok), but it also pulses in and out before acquiring focus. That I am not a fan of.

I am wondering if what I have noticed about the 63mm on the GFX-50R is true? And if so, is the 50mm 3.5 better in regards to focusing faster with less of the pulsing behavior I believe I have seen?

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm GF 50mm F3.5 Fujifilm GF 63mm F2.8 Fujifilm GFX 50R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow