Focus Priority in A7RIV

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ProPhotogPaul New Member • Posts: 7
Focus Priority in A7RIV

I am a newbie to Sony, so this may be something simple that I am overlooking. I have set Focus Priority for both AF-S and AF-C to be "Focus," as opposed to "Release,." or "Balanced." I am using back button focus, with the shutter button set to only fire the shutter and not focus. If I press the shutter button with the image clearly WAY out of focus, the shutter will still fire and record the out of focus image. This seems to me to be improper because I can see an instance where I am going for a "grab shot," have pressed the back button to focus, but the camera has not quite yet finished focusing. During that moment, while it is still trying to focus, I see the action point I want and so press the shutter release. In this scenario, the shutter will fire and the image will be out of focus - the exact thing that the settings I have set should prevent. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

-- hide signature --

Paul A. White

ProPhotogPaul's gear list:ProPhotogPaul's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow