A7 for landscape astro: Does it make sense heading into 2020?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Magnar W
Magnar W Senior Member • Posts: 4,401
Sure, the A7 still makes sense for a lot of work

Dominic Ryan wrote:

The original a7 would be the most economical, I could maybe stretch to an a7R or a7 ii if the right deal came along. My question is which of these would be best for landscape astrophotography, especially longer exposures between 3-5 minutes ?

I have used my A7 a lot for landscapes at night with a starry sky, and love the results.

For this type of photography, sensor reflections is a non-issue unless there are bright light sources in the field of view, like street lamps or the moon. Then there might be some visible artifacts, but I can easily live with the result.

Svalbard, panorama from several 21 mm lens shots. Great result and hardly noticeable sensor reflection issues.

The coast at my area, at 63 degrees north. Long exposure at night.

Here sensor reflections are seen for the very bright street lamps. In my opinion they add just as much to the image as they ruin the result, so I am ok with large format prints from this file.

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow