[LR Classic] How to enable sidecar XMP with DNG files ?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tokumeino Senior Member • Posts: 2,833
[LR Classic] How to enable sidecar XMP with DNG files ?

Motivation : I'm back to LR after more than a year with COP. Due to the poor default demosaicing of LR for Fuji RAF files, I'm using Irident X Transformer to produce DNG demosaiced files. I'm careful about backup, so my whole library and files are versioned, and backuped (with incremental versioning) on a distant NAS plus on the cloud (client side encrypted, naturally). The issue of XMP inside DNGs is that every version (induded by a edits or tagging) has a huge cost in terms of disk space. From a backup perspective, I vastly prefer the RAW+XMP solution, because only the tiny XMP files change, and versioning is much less costly in terms of disk space. So my question is ...

Is there a way in LR classic to force the use of XMP sidecar files instead of embeed XMP metadata ? Irident X Tranformer provides an option to "Lock DNG (force LR sidercar)" after converting the RAW file, but I cannot find the option force LR to use XMP files along DNG files.

If you know how to do it, please answer. In neither case, answers such as "XMP are embeded in DNG files and it is so much better as it" wouldn't be helpful (please read motivation above) because everybody is not equally optimistic and some prefer comprehensive and efficient backup.

tokumeino's gear list:tokumeino's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Canon G7 X II Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +6 more
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow