Oly 45mm 1.8 vs Sigma 56mm 1.4

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Teuchter G Junior Member • Posts: 39
Re: Oly 45mm 1.8 vs Sigma 56mm 1.4

I recently tested many of the popular lenses in this category including the Sigma 19mm (not 30) and the Olympus 45mm. The Sigma was sharp and light but not as small as the 45mm, and no sharper. (A friend has the 45mm f1.2 Pro but it was way too big and heavy for me.) (I also looked at some manual options from Meike and 7Artisans - but I'm too lazy these days for manual everything!)

But the Sigma  was a whole stop slower and for portrait use the extra length and wider aperture swung it but... I didn't know Sigma did an MFT 56mm at f1.4. If I had I would definitely have included it in my shortlist. Extra reach and wider still. Now you have the 30mm sigma and I did consider trying it, but by that time decided the 45mm was meeting my needs.

To be honest, portraiture is a  minority interest for me, but I'm hoping to do more now I have a suitable lens. Previously I was using the 60mm macro which was just a shade too long IMHO.

Teuchter G's gear list:Teuchter G's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow