G9 - Highlight Weighted Metering Strangeness

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SteveY80 Senior Member • Posts: 1,260
G9 - Highlight Weighted Metering Strangeness

Has anyone tried the highlight weighted metering option added in the 2.0 firmware?

To me it seemed like a good idea as I often tweak exposure compensation to preserve highlights. It sounded especially useful when shooting birds with white feathers, so I nipped down my local pond to give it a go.

Here's a screenshot from Lightroom showing a buffer filling burst of shots of birds on the water:

Even from the resized thumbnails you should be able to see that every frame is more or less the same scene, yet some are obviously much darker than others. In fact, there's a 4 stop difference between the brightest and darkest shots.

There's almost a pattern to it: 2 to 4 properly exposed shots (i.e. what I was seeing previewed on screen) followed by one that's at least 2 stops darker.

Here's a resized (but otherwise unedited) single frame to show what I was shooting:

It's not something I noticed until I came home, so I haven't had the chance to carry out further testing. I was curious whether anyone here had experienced the same issue or could offer any explanation?

SteveY80's gear list:SteveY80's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a77 II +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow