Taking a photography class, should I buy a new lens?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
carini555
carini555 Junior Member • Posts: 35
Taking a photography class, should I buy a new lens?

I am brand new to photography. I have a Panasonic GX85 with the 12-32 and 45-150 mm lenses that came with the deal (purchased this summer). I took an intro to photography class this fall and I am practicing occasionally. Sometimes I take a good picture, but I feel it is still by accident.    I am taking another class from the same instructor next weekend, and the theme is "festive photography". Here is the description:

"We’ll be exploring a range of techniques to capture the spirit of the season, including street photography, architectural photography, and portraiture."

The class starts at 5 pm, so it will be dark.  Should I stick with the lenses that I have for the class, or go ahead and buy a new one?  Budget isn't really a big deal, but I don't want to just throw money and technology at my novice status.  On the other hand, I do want to get the most out of this class and I have heard that these lenses aren't great at low light situations (not sure if that is true).

I would appreciate any input on this.  Thanks in advance!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SGA
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow