15mm vs 16mm vs 17mm - Fov only

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
northlondon43
northlondon43 Senior Member • Posts: 1,524
15mm vs 16mm vs 17mm - Fov only

Ok, I'm tearing out what very little hair I have left when reading about the above arguments for one focal length over the other. I fully appreciate that there are a number of lens options in the MFT system with different maximum apertures, size and weight etc. However that's not where I'm coming from. It's simply the FOV (though I know others might prefer AOV) that I'm curious about. Having read many articles where people seem obsessed by the 'classic 35mm' view and talk about how the 2mm difference between 15mm and 17mm is so significant (I've looked at photos illustrating the difference), I just don't get it. Surely if it bugged me that much I could crop a 17mm to 15 with very little reduction in IQ, or just use my feet in the majority of situations to simulate a 17mm shot with a 15mm?

Oh maybe I should point out that I'm looking at buying one of 15,16,17mm primes hence this thread (please don't bother about recommending a particular brand, focal length as I've read all the 'stuff')

I feel so much better getting that off my chest 😁😁😁😁

-- hide signature --

Adrian
An amateur, atheist, alliterationist

northlondon43's gear list:northlondon43's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow