Which fisheye? sigma 15/nikon 16/samyang 12?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Matsu Senior Member • Posts: 2,342
Re: Which fisheye? sigma 15/nikon 16/samyang 12?

threw the lens wrote:

The Sigma comes from the days when Sigma was a budget lens maker. I wouldn't hope for too much from it, which is why it is cheaper than even the Samyang.

The Samyang is very good and it does have reviews. It also has a lens profile in Adobe if for some reason you want the image to look more rectilinear. I don't remember seeing flare on the Samyang. Chromatic aberration is there but not a wild amount. It responds to correction. It is sharp enough. I didn't see any real gotcha on that lens. I thought it was a bit better than their 8mm for crop sensors.

I think this one may be the best bang for buck, and genuinely more useful for certain applications.  I know the OP is willing to mount just about anything that has an adaptor, but the Nikon AE version comes chipped for focus confirmation and exposure/metering info, and so quite a bit more convenient to use than some off brand adaptations.

Matsu's gear list:Matsu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow