Comparing older 2014/15 24 mpx sensors to latest/greatest wrt IQ + DR?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
l_d_allan
l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 5,092
Comparing older 2014/15 24 mpx sensors to latest/greatest wrt IQ + DR?

This F.F. Sony a7R2 owner is only marginally aware of the Image Quality (IQ) (inc Dynamic Range (DR) of the APS-C 24 mpx sensors over the past 5+ years.

A possible misconception of mine is that in terms of "raw IQ", Sony has made only minor to moderate improvements in their APS-C sensors.

Ignoring usability issues such as screens, IBIS, menus, AF, etc ... and assuming a very high quality prime lens and MTF software of the "system" of sensor + lens:

Comparing the "raw IQ" of a very recent 2019 a6600 to a 5+ year old 2014 a6000, would the IQ (inc DR) difference be ...

1. dramatic and obvious to a beginning point-n-shoot'er
  2. significant
  3. somewhat better
  4. between "somewhat better" and "marginally better"
  5. marginally better if you know what to look for in a 16" x 20" print
  6. no difference

My less-than-informed guess is that #4 applies.

I suppose the DR values from Bill Claff's "Photons to Photos" might apply for DR. Those are essentially the same for the a6000 and a6600 covering 5 years.

Is there an "apples and apples" equivalent to DR for resolution using Raws with little or no in-body "improvements" like sharpening? RawDigger?

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +27 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow