Considering a Canon EOS RP

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MikeCamWV Regular Member • Posts: 223
Considering a Canon EOS RP

With the recent firmware improving eye detection and AF tracking and the price reduction, I'm considering picking up the Canon EOS RP kit with the 24-240 lens. I have a couple of questions around lenses though.

I'm seeing a ton of Canon EF lenses for pretty low prices. I'd love to pick up a couple of primes. I'm looking at the three focal length ranges for primes based on the types of pics I typically take:

In the somewhat wide range:
EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM
EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM
EF 28mm f/1.8 USM
EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
I typically take indoor family pics with a prime in this focal length range - kids opening presents, kids playing, dog playing, etc. I really don't go wider than this indoors, so I don't need super wide. Lighting tends to be challenging where I take these kinds of pics; I regularly have to use iso6400 - 12800 or bounce flash on a kit lens (flash is less convenient for spur of the moment pics) to get these to turn out, so a fast-ish prime is helpful. A couple of them have IS, but the pics are usually of subjects that move (with the exception of our annual Christmas tree pics), so the IS isn't that important here.

Mid-range:
EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
EF 50mm f/1.8 II
These tend to be indoor or outdoor. Sometimes posed pics of family members and sometimes kids/animals at play if the prime is what I have mounted at the time.

Longer range:
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
EF 100mm f/2 USM
I tend to use this range for "portrait" style pics of family and friends, pretty much always outdoors. In the past, I've just used a kit lens since the lighting is good enough outdoors, but my wife wants me to take a stab at taking senior pics of our daughter next summer and I've also been asked to take portrait pics of other relatives, so I think I need a dedicated portrait lens.

So given the circumstance I've laid out, if you were going to pick one prime in each of those categories (somewhat wide, mid-range, longer range), which lens would you pic based on your experience? For right now, I need to stay no more than a couple hundred $s per lens (and with used/refurb EF prices, the ones I have above seem to all be in that range). If I'm missing one you'd recommend, please throw that out.

Thanks!

Mike

MikeCamWV's gear list:MikeCamWV's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | A Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow