Oly 45mm 1.8 vs Sigma 56mm 1.4

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Cyvan Regular Member • Posts: 236
Re: Oly 45mm 1.8 vs Sigma 56mm 1.4

I have the Oly 25, Pan 42.5 1.7, Sigma 56 and Oly 75.

I love taking portraits and I wanted more separation than I was getting from the 42.5. At the time, the best blur for buck short of a Nocticron was the 75, with similar blur. I love it and I've gotten some gorgeous full body shots from it.

But as others have stated the FL is kinda long.

The Sigma immediately caught my eye because it was supposedly as sharp as the 75 and give around the same amount of separation due the f1.4 and FL longer than 42.5. I've had it for a few weeks now and I'm contemplating selling my 42.5:

The Sigma is only 1 stride back from the 42.5 compared to the 75's 3, but I'm getting similar performance. I was worried about the focusing performance on my G9 but it was impeccable.

So if portraits are your thing, I'd recommend the Sigma 56, right now its the most practical , max bokeh portrait lens short of a Nocticron or Oly Pro lens. Which are over double the price new.

I'm not going to sell my 75 though its too valuable for those times when I need the reach in lowlight etc. It's the longest fast prime in the system and the sharpness allows you to crop safely which extends the reach further.

Cyvan's gear list:Cyvan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow