Oly 45mm 1.8 vs Sigma 56mm 1.4

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mdealto Forum Member • Posts: 52
Oly 45mm 1.8 vs Sigma 56mm 1.4

Hello everyone!

So I am in the market for a new lens to add some diversity to my gear and give me more options for portraits. I currently shoot on an Oly em10 m2 and own the Rokinon 12mm, Sigma 30mm 1.4, and the Oly 40-150.

After a bunch of research I picked up the Oly 45mm 1.8 reading about how it is a great portrait option. I just got it today and it got me thinking, is it too close to the Sigma 30mm that I should instead look for something with a little more zoom.

Curious on your thoughts! I LOVE my sigma 30mm so the idea of the 56mm sounds appealing. I would mostly use this lens for portrait photography and landscape photography when a little more zoom is needed.

Obviously I realize this is a subjective question but I would just love your opinions! Should I stick with the Oly 45mm because it's cheaper and a good lens? Also, I LOVE the small size of the Oly. While the Sigma isn't large, there still is a big difference! Or should I go for the Sigma 56mm because it is "more different" than my current set up? I'm just wondering if there is a point having the 45 when I already have a 30. Are they different enough to warrant both?

Thanks for your thoughts!

mdealto's gear list:mdealto's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Micro Four Thirds
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow