Pentax Takumar 200mm F3.5 - detailed test on GFX-50R

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
spilla Junior Member • Posts: 35
Pentax Takumar 200mm F3.5 - detailed test on GFX-50R

Hi all,

I just got an M42 to GFX adapter and did a test of one of my favorite vintage lenses - the Pentax Takumar 200mm F3.5.  This lens is big and heavy, but the bokeh is gorgeous.

Apparently my copy was owned by a Mr. A. Shimaya -- if you know him, let me know

I tried to replicate the testing done by Jim Kasson -- this is my first time doing this, so please excuse if I made any glaring errors. RAW files in LR, default sharpening except Amount 20, about 250% crops exported at 700 pixels high. Let's take a look.

Here's the scene at f/5.6 and f/11. Vignetting was best at f/5.6, but a hard vignette started becoming prominent at f/11.

f/5.6

f/11

Center crops (f/3.5, f/5.6, f/8, f.11)

f/3.5

f/5.6

f/8

f/11

Near the lower left corner:

f/3.5

f/5.6

f/8

f/11

I also did some bokeh shots slightly further than the close-focusing distance.  Yes, I used an avocado. Whatever.

f/3.5

f/3.5

f/5.6

f/5.6

f/8

f/8

f/11

f/11

Overall I thought this was a really great performance. f/5.6 to f/8 was a real sweet spot. The major downsides of this lens are some substantial purple fringing, and the hard vignetting the develops as you stop down.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow