SHOOTING A SIGMA 100-400mm ON A NIKON Z BODY? NEED A TRIPOD COLLAR? CHECK THIS OUT.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GuyDagar
GuyDagar Regular Member • Posts: 222
SHOOTING A SIGMA 100-400mm ON A NIKON Z BODY? NEED A TRIPOD COLLAR? CHECK THIS OUT.

I recently bought a Sigma 100-400mm knowing that it does not come with a tripod collar; I’ve owned the lens before and always shot it hand-held. This time I bought it with the intention of using a tripod. Some people will tell you that you don’t really need a tripod collar with this lens, but I beg to differ. That might be okay on a beefy D5 or a D850, but on a Z6 or 7, a 40 0z. lens along with the FTZ adapter is definitely putting some stress on the mounting. There are third-party tripod collars for it, a Haoge for around $50 but I haven’t had good experiences with 3rd-party collars, I eventually threw one Haoge collar for my 70-200mm f/4 away because it just wouldn’t stay tight. And the Sigma 100-400 isn’t really designed for a collar. But it needs one.

Earlier today I came across a new QR plate designed for the FTZ adapter, one that would allow removing and replacing the FTZ with it on. I had tried 3-4 of my standard QR plates but they all stuck out from the back of the FTZ too much to allow mounting the FTZ on the body. This one, the Stabil FTZF Arca-Swiss Type foot is designed for the Nikon FTZ. Looks pretty good. Cost? $44 on Amazon.

STABIL FTZF ADAPTER FOR FTZ

I was about to buy it when it occurred to me that I have a Desmond DPL-100 QR plate designed for tripod collars without an Arca-Swiss foot, like the Nikon 200-500mm. It has a lip on one end to keep it from rotating on the foot.

I immediately placed it on one of my FTZ adapters with the lip toward the body and tried mounting it on the Z7—it works! It doesn't get in the way of mounting or unmounting the FTZ, and it works with an L-Bracket mounted as well. Properly tightened it won't twist on the mount—it's as solid as any tripod collar foot. Problem solved, for $12!

Because the plate is 100mm it may also work for setting the nodal point when shooting panoramas with the attached lens. Here it is mounted on my Z7:

It essentially places the fulcrum of the lens on the FTZ and relieves the stress on the Z body; it converts the FTZ into a tripod collar! I have two other lenses that will benefit from it when shooting on a tripod: the AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 that weighs 32 oz., and the AF-S 70-200mm f/4 that weighs 30 oz. —both heavy lenses.

I still like the Stabil QR plate with its more compact size and no doubt slightly lighter weight, but $44 is a bit much if it can be done for less.

GuyDagar's gear list:GuyDagar's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +11 more
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow