Help me get the MC-11 + EF-S 55-250mm IS STM combo working, please

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 1,679
Help me get the MC-11 + EF-S 55-250mm IS STM combo working, please

So back in July I traveled to Iceland for a long weekend and wanted to catch some puffin pictures while I was there.  The FE 70-300mm was a bit more than I wanted to spend for occasional wildlife snaps and - after research - I settled on a refurb Canon 55-250mm IS STM and MC-11 combination.  This gave me 250mm of lightweight lens for $300, which seemed like an acceptable compromise.  After some modifications I was good to go!

While the lens did capture a few good pictures, I found it had a very low hit rate in AF-C mode, with tracking AF on my A6400 basically unusable.  In fact I find that AF-C in general is quite wonky on the lens, and there is a noticeable delay between my AF-C button presses and the shutter activating.

There is also a frustration where stabilization does not kick in while manually focusing, making manual focus almost impossible to use at telephoto range.

On my A6400 I've been shooting medium burst AF-C with a fixed center AF point.  But the AF has been so unreliable I find myself using MF instead.

Now I did update from firmware 1.25 to 1.27 today (somehow the software missed 1.26 in July), so that might help.  But I was wondering if anyone had tips on using the MC-11 with this lens/camera.

Puffin Pics:

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow