Batis 25 to replace 24-105?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
N4865G
N4865G Contributing Member • Posts: 504
Batis 25 to replace 24-105?

Ever since I got my Batis 40mm I tend to be moving my photography more towards primes.

I do have the flexible 24-105 and it serves the purpose as the one-tool-for-all travel needs, yet I see myself reaching out for my Batis 40 more and more. Cannot explain why that is, perhaps the special look of Batis prime photographs, the famous 3d pop of it or 24-105s weakness in the wide angle focal length.

I am thinking about complete changeover from travel zoom supported by 40mm and UWA Laowa 15mm to Prime only setup.

When I browsed through my picture collection yesterday I noticed most of my travel pictures were taken at the extreme of the 24-105, the 24mm.

The reason for this is that I do normally travel to urban areas where the wide angle plays well with architecture, but my 15mm is too wide for that.

I considered number of options and Batis 25 seems to fit all my needs, it is significantly less expensive, lighter and smaller than the GM24 which was my other alternative. I need the AF lens as well, so all those MF options of Loxias and CV lenses I disqualified at an early stage,

I would appreciate your comments on your personal experience moving away from 24-105 zoom to all-prime setup for travel.

Main question really is: am I going to see significant picture quality improvement of this prime compared to 24-105?

Would the 25mm not be too close to 40mm, which I normally use as the walk-around lens? I shortly considered Batis 18mm, but then it is too close to my 15mm and it seems to be inferior to the B25 version.

Thanks

Dom

N4865G's gear list:N4865G's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Venus Laowa 15mm F2 FE Zero-D Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow